August 18, 2009

Possibly the longest sentence I've ever written.

I just received a letter in the mail. I wrote it a few months ago at the final meeting for the year of the Writer's Club at Amherst, and Emmy sent it out as the summer draws to a close (thanks!). Here it is, slightly edited:

Waking up on the last day of something, or the first, contemplating ends and beginnings, taking an impossible leap, discovering things in myself that were so well hidden that I had never seen a trace; finishing something with pride and congratulations, with an awed appreciation for my own capabilities, winning an opportunity to begin something unfamiliar and exciting, coming across something new and beautiful; finding my own expressions inspirational, drawing away from the dredges of conformity, ready to fly off, my trajectory charted only in the minimal ways dictated by necessity, equipped with what I need for the moment and knowing that tomorrow will take care of itself; now, a part of me recognizes that I am finally pushing past the chasm that separates me from adulthood, coming into my own and finally knowing what that is, what it means, how I fit into it, and releasing the worries of inadequacy and inefficiency and incompletion, drawing a new hope from within, blossoming in the glow of tender care and daily watering, and my eyes widen in wonder as I greet it each morning upon waking up.

The prompt was to write about something that makes me happy. What makes you happy?

3 comments:

Kat Libby said...

YOU make me happy! Also chocolate, coffee, the ocean, warm kittens, cuddling and naps. Basically (oh and cookies) everything that makes you warm and fuzzy inside. Except rain. I like that too.

Anonymous said...

Hi how are you?

I was looking through your blog, and I found it interesting, and inspiring to me, so I thought why not leave you a comment.

I too have a blog that I use out of Southern California here in San Diego.

Mostly it is a collection of artistic expression, and I have many friends with the same interests, maybe you can become my friend, and follow, and I can also follow you, if that is okay.

Well I hope to hear from you soon, and or read about you….LOL

Sincerely,
Jesse

Tia said...

That's totally how I write. What makes me happy is you guys :) And also my birthday. And pens.